Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chico's Hydrogen Jukebox

Dear Friends,

   Hope summer's light for you and that the only things breaking down are your winter-related -- fix 'em later!

   Got a cool show this Friday, 7/20, a serial debut for a cool trio called Chico's Hydrogen Jukebox. We're at Territorial Vineyards (907 W 3rd Ave)  playing from 7-10 pm. I will play half a dozen instruments (six and 12-string guitars, fiddle, mandolin, bouzouki, and, yes, electric banjo), joined by my excellent partners in crime, George Filgate, drums and percussion and David Andersen, guitars and bass.

   I'm excited about it because I play a lot of different kinds of music in different contexts, but usually not at the same time. This is our attempt to put it all under one roof: swing fiddle, psychobilly labor songs, a little bluegrass, a little Irish and, frankly, some stuff I don't know how to describe. I'll be singing my own songs as well as gems from Woody, Townes and Eddie Cochrane.

  It's an early show, casual and family friendly. I think it's barbecue night, which means that people set up grills out front and cook (you might want to check ahead on that). Territorial's fine wines and  quality local beer are available. There's no door charge. Come on down and make us look cool by your presence.

   By the way, the group's name comes from "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg:
"who sank all night in submarine light of Bickford's, 
floated out and sat through the stale beer afternoons in desolate Fugazi's,
listening to the crack of doom on the hydrogen jukebox..."

- Chico

No comments:

Post a Comment